Tourist boards and destination authorities
Tourist boards and destination authorities are actively encouraged to participate in the campaign. Our theme this year is ‘say no to plastic’ and encourage holidaymakers to find alternatives to plastic - such as bringing a reusable bag on their next holiday, avoiding plastic straws with drinks or by directly taking the Make Holidays Greener ‘say no to plastic’ pledge.
Here are three simple things you can do to participate in this campaign:
- Share how you are already reducing plastic, or pledge future action to reduce plastic. You can share your activities on social media using #MHG18
- Organise a greener holiday action inyour destination such as organising a clean-up operation with your staff and customers to help keep local beaches, parks or neighbourhoods clean
- Encourage your visitors to make a pledge
You can register your activity here or simply tell us of your plans.
How to get started
Please read the destinations support pack for ideas, and feel free to use the resources available for logos and artwork. For example, we have developed artwork for you to provide branded re-usable cotton bags to visitors to help reduce the use of plastic bags as an option.
We will share stories of how you are taking action to reducing plastic use, so please do tell us about what action you are taking.
Benefits of participating in the campaign:
• Engage your visitors: This campaign is a positive way to involve visitors in inspiring activities and help them give back to your destination
• Promote your destination: This is an excellent opportunity to profile your destination and share your sustainability achievements through social media as well as local and national press.